Dasaan Huey


       

It’s about 12:45 p.m. on a rainy Thursday afternoon. The basketball class at LBCC is having its routine pick-up games. “Dasaan, get a bucket they can’t hold you.” Dasaan Huey drives past a defender down the line for an easy layup … almost too easy. “Told you they can’t stop you,” one of the players on Huey’s pick-up team says to him. Huey smiles with embarrassment, almost like he knows no one can guard him in that class, but he doesn’t want to brag about it.

Dasaan Huey, aka “Dee,” is an 18-year-old freshman LBCC student who is majoring in computer science, but he is in the process of switching it to graphic arts. He chose to go to LBCC because he felt it was better than jumping straight to an university, and he feels he will be better prepared going to a university when he is finished attending LBCC. He has lived in Albany his whole life. He graduated from West Albany High School. Isaac Savage says, “Dasaan is a true homie. Since day one to this day forward we’ve had no beef with each other. He’s very chill, he does no wrong, always clean and honest. Glad to have a friendship with him.”




Dee has always been around sports. He played football his freshman and senior year, and played basketball all four years in high school. “I love basketball, and football,” Huey said. “Basketball is my favorite sport, but I really miss football, probably even more than I do basketball. There’s just something about Friday night football that makes you feel a certain way, I can't explain it, it’s just a certain feeling you get.”

Although he isn’t playing on the basketball team at LBCC, Huey still finds ways to play basketball. “I hoop at the school with Westin, and Jerrick, and KC, most of the time, and sometimes I hoop at Grand Prairie. I haven't been there for a while, but sometimes there are good runs.” If Huey isn’t playing basketball, then he is most likely refing basketball. Dee refs middle school, and high school JV basketball games on weekdays, and he mainly refs in Corvallis. “I love refing, and I get into the games if they are exciting, I can’t help myself. This one game a girl hit 5 threes in a row, and I had no choice but to lose my mind. The parents and coaches can sometimes be annoying, but you get used to it, as long as you know what you’re doing, and you’re confident with your call.”

Dee also likes to listen to music, watch YouTube, and play video games for fun. He listens to all kinds of music, but rap is his favorite music. J Cole, Drake, 21 savage, NBA Youngboy, and Mozzy are just a few rappers he loves to listen to. For video games, he loves playing “NBA 2k”, “Call of Duty”, and “Ghost Recon.” On YouTube, he loves watching pranks, and virtual coins glitches,( aka VC glitches.) “I watch VC glitches because I'm not trying to pay money extra money for ‘2k.’” Dee says.

Like most college students, there are some things that Dee says he had to adjust to in college. “The biggest thing I had to adjust to is finding time doing homework. It’s is not like high school, you have to find ways to do your homework. I do it between classes, and a lot before, after refing a basketball game.”











At a glance:

Desaan Huey

LBCC freshman

18- years -old

Graphic design major

Has an older brother named Johann Huey

Refs at local schools in C

Phone number: 541-981-927

Instagram: dasann23huey





















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photo story of Talen Kiekhoefer and his basketball team Triple Threat

Weston Basl; A Chip On His Shoulder

week 2 forum